Back to the Museum

    1928 Pavilion Clock

    The original Victorian cricket pavilion was burned to the ground in 1926, allegedly by a tramp who wanted to keep warm.  The new Pavilion was paid for by subscription and was completed in 1927.  A very generous benefactor provided a mechanical eight-day turret clock, and the 1693 bell, which used to signify the opening and closing of trading in Warwick market place, was offered to the school via the trustees of King Henry VIII charity.  The bell has a Latin inscription: “Ex dono Ed. Willes, discite justitiam.”

    The clock itself is in a glass-fronted cupboard in the room on the left as you enter the pavilion.  It features a dead beat escapement and a mahogany pendulum rod with an iron bob.  According to “The Portcullis” of July 1927 considerable difficulty was experienced in providing the 16ft drop necessary for the weights, and pipes sunk into the ground filled with water overnight.  The solution was to sink 1ft diameter iron pipes, sealed at the base, 6ft into the ground.

     

    1. OB19 Pavilion Clock