Back to the Museum

    East window of Chapel

    Stained glass windows started to be inserted in the chapel in 1902, following the building of the body of the chapel in 1879 and its completion, with the erection of the chancel, in 1893. The renowned designer Henry Holiday (1839-1927) visited the school in 1901 and had proposed that he be commissioned to supply a window for the newly-completed chancel. In 1902 the money for the centre light came in the form of a gift from the mother of Cecil Meiggs, a 12 year old boy who had died at the school of septic pneumonia.

    By 1904 Mr Holiday wrote to the governors to remind them that he had not been paid a penny so far, even for his 1902 work, and was quite keen to receive £114-4s, the whole cost of the window.

     

     

    Above the five main panels we can see 14 angels, some playing musical instruments. The five main panels show the life of Christ. Going from left to right:

    1)            The birth of Christ.

    2)            Being taught in the temple, and learning carpentry from Joseph.

    3)            The Cecil Meiggs memorial window itself, showing the crucifixion.

    4)            The ascension.

    5)            The resurrection.

    1. East window of Chapel