Back to the Museum

    West Window of Chapel

    All the stained glass windows in the chapel, except the east window, were by the young designer Francis H. Spear, and date from 1925. Spear studied at the Royal College of Art, and was still a student when the headmaster at the time, Horace Seymour Pyne, commissioned him to design a large memorial window for the west end of the chapel, to complete the gallery he paid for as a memorial to his son Eric who was killed in the First World War.

    The theme of the whole west window is “sacrifice”. This is symbolised by the Pelican in her Piety at the very top of the window - a pelican represented in the act of wounding her breast to feed her young with her own blood.  In the centre is headmaster H. S. Pyne’s unauthorised (or “illegal”) badge of Warwick School, and a Dean’s Hat of the former College of Warwick. This contains the blue and white stripes of the Earl of Warwick in 1123, and a bear and ragged staff.

    The fact that Pyne used a young student (possibly for economic reasons) to design this important and serious window had the extraordinary result of many “jokes” being included – a crane fly, suns, moons, stars and even a duck were etched into the glass and are only visible on close inspection

    1. OB26 west window of chapel - compressed